Sweet and salty… there’s just something so delicious when the two collide, offering the best of both worlds. These Salted Caramel Coconut squares have just the right amount of salt to offset the sweet.
While desserts aren’t necessarily intended to be enjoyed on a daily basis, it’s important to have some go-to recipes so that when a sweet craving strikes, you’re not racing to the nearest store for a processed treat loaded with refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup and chemical food additives.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and relies on a bit of maple syrup and dates for sweetening.
Ingredients (makes 12 squares)
- Line baking dish with parchment paper
- Soak dates for approximately half an hour in warm water
- Add 1 cup of dates, 1.5 cup of walnuts, 1 tsp pink salt and 1 tsp coconut oil in a high powered blender and pulse until combined.
- Spread mixture in bottom of baking dish and place in freezer
- Add remaining 2 dates, 1 cup of cashews, 2 tbsp tahini, half a tsp sea salt, 1/4 cup of water, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tbsp of maple syrup to blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Stir in coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- Layer in baking dish and freeze for one hour
- Add ¼ cup cacao, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp coconut butter and 1/4 cup maple syrup to saucepan
- Heat on low-medium stirring frequently until all ingredients are melted/combined
- Remove from heat and spread as top layer in baking dish
- Top with shredded coconut and a light dusting of sea salt
- Return to freezer for 1-2 hours, cut into squares and serve
*Squares should be kept in freezer in order to maintain their form